The Best Washing Machines to Buy in 2021
The washing machine is essential in any home. They are appliances that last up to 10 years, and that is why going to buy one is not an habitual activity. When the time is due to renew your washing machine, it is to be expected that there will be technological advancements and models that may not be known to you. We know that it is easy to get confused with the technical details and specifications, this is why we offer you a guide to be able to buy your ideal washing machine.
Indesit Ewd81483wukn My Time A+++ Rated D Rated 8kg 1400 Rpm Washing Machine
209.00£ 229.0 €
Zanussi Zwf01483wr Lindo300 A+++ Rated D Rated 10kg 1400 Rpm Washing Machine
299.00£ 429.0 €
Hotpoint Nswr 742u Gk Uk 7 Kg 1400 Spin Washing Machine - Graphite - Currys
229.00£ 329.99 €
How to choose a new washing machine?
Before comparing prices and brands, it is fundamental to ask yourselves 3 important questions:
- How much space do you have? The first step is to choose where is the appliance going to be placed. The second step is to measure, so that you know the exact dimensions available ,this will determine what type of washing machine you will be choosing.
- How many people will be using the washing machine? These appliances have various capacities, usually between 6-9 kg. This characteristic has a direct influence on the price. Therefore, calculating how many loads of laundry need to be done a week and the quantities depending on how many people living in the household is vital for deciding which capacity is the most adequate for your family's needs.
- Saving energy? The washing machine is one of the household appliances that consumes the most, and the models that are equipped with saving energy functions are usually more expensive. The electrical points and water system allow imply an investment. Therefore, it is important to calculate the long term benefits according to the requirements of each budget.
Types of washing machines
It is important know the different types of washing machines available on the market, to avoid any errors at the time of choice.
Front-loading washing machine
They are the most popular in UK, 90% of the households have them. The door and tumbler are situated in the front part of the appliance. Here are the characteristics and advantages:
- They have more load capacity.
- They allow you to utilise the space better, as they allow you to place other appliances on top, like a tumble dryer.
- They have washing programs that are more advanced.
- They use less water thanks to their vertical tumbler.
- They allow you to save more energy.
- Their centrifuge is quicker.
- They are more expensive, but they are a profitable investment.
Top-loading washing machine
This type of washing machine is well known in the USA. However, they are hard to find here in UK. The opening to put he laundry in the washing machine is situated on the top. Their characteristics are:
- They can be free of any type of installation, as they can be placed anywhere or integrated into the kitchen furniture. This allows for the appliance to be hidden behind a door and form part of the design.
- They are easier to manage for elderly people or people with mobility difficulties as they have easy access.
- They are cheaper than the front-loading washing machines.
- They do consume more electricity.
- They take any type of detergents.
- Their cycles are quicker.
They have both functions washing and drying in the same machine. They offer the following characteristics:
- They save space.
- They consume more electricity.
- The drying capacity is less than the washing capacity.
Energy efficiency classification
When we hear about “energy efficiency” we often are unaware of how they classify the ranges of energy consumption of the washing machines and how to distinguish the differences.
There are 7 types of energy consumption categories: A+++,A++, A+, A, B, C, D. The most efficient appliances are rated A+++ and the least efficient are rated D.
- Class A+: use 13% less energy than the A rated appliances.
- Class A++: use 24% less.
- Class A+++: use 32% less.
Load consumer ratio chart
Here we provide a comparative chart which approximately describes the capacity needed depending on the usage of the appliance. This will help with the calculations to choose the adequate load capacity.
- 9 kg: is ideal for homes with more than 4 people living there, have around 6 loads of laundry a week.
- 7 kg: this capacity is apt for families of 2 to 3 people, with an average of 5 loads of laundry per week.
- 6 kg: ideal for 1 to 2 people, with less than 4 loads of laundry per week.
Washing programs and other functions
The present day washing machines offer a grand variety of programs, special cycles for specific materials and different multiple functions. It is possible to get confused with all the alternatives and may not make the most of them all. Which are the essential programs a washing machine should have? The basic cycles for a washing machine to have are; cotton, synthetic and delicate wash. Any additional programs are extras in their favour.
The next functions play a decisive role when choosing a washing machine:
The speed of the centrifuge is the mechanism that allows the laundry to come out of the washing machine with more or less humidity when the wash is finished. It is important to know that the centrifuge has nothing to do with the quality of the wash. When the centrifuge is faster the less humidity the clothes will have. The classification is from the letter A to the letter G.
For example, in areas with high humidity and low temperatures, washing machines are required to have centrifuges of 1200 r.p.m to obtain 40% less humidity in the clothes. If you live in a cold but dry climate, a centrifuge of 1000 r.p.m is sufficient to obtain up to 60% less humidity in the clothes.
Where you place your washing machine will determine the noise level needed. If the washing machine is close to the bedroom, you will need a quieter washing machine than if It is placed further away. As a general standard, the ideal volume is 50 db for the wash cycle and 70 db for the centrifuge cycle.
Washing machines come with 2 type of control panels: electronic controls or with LCD screens and the manual one's. Both alternatives are tools that make the appliance easy to use. Although the electronic controls are promoted to be more versatile, the manual controls are practical and less costly. The choice of control panel depends on the user and their necessities.
This is an important function to consider. There are security mechanisms that lock the door of the appliance during the wash, an important feature when there are little ones in the home. This also helps to avoid overloading and a overflow of water.
This function allows you to program when you want the washing machine to start washing, this way you can adjust the wash to a timetable so you can use a cheap rate for the electricity.
Automatic load detection
This function determines automatically the amount of water needed and the optimum of the load depending on the amount of laundry put in the appliance.
Where to buy the ideal washing machine?
To purchase the best brand names like; Candy, Milar, Bosch, Siemens, LG, Balay, Samsung and Miele, our advice is to buy on prestigious websites like eBay, Amazon and Media Markt. These are solid shops and you can also compare opinion of other buyers of the acquired appliances. They have a vast range of products available, from an industrial washing machine to a small sized one.
You can find the best alternatives and have never security when buying, avoiding any inconvenience, and for those of you who are interested in the best prices, on these websites they offer promotions and search filters so you can look for more economical categories.
Miele Wcd120 8kg 1400rpm Washing Machine
699.00£ 785.99 €
Brand New Samsung Washing Machine With Addwash + Ecobubble + Hygiene Steam
525.00£ 0 bids | 05d
How to clean your Washing Machine
Money saving tips
- Although they are more expensive to buy, we recommend you buy an energy-efficient washing machine. In the long run it will be the best investment.
- Make the use of the maximum capacity.
- Use the centrifuge rather than the drying cycle, this will help use less electricity.
- Clean the filter out regularly to guarantee an optimum maintenance.
- The natural heat is the best way to dry clothes and will help preserve the environment.
We can summarize our shopping guide with the main important topics for the purchase of the perfect washing machine:
- Determine which are your necessities.
- Only choose the necessary functions to guarantee an optimum performance and a reasonable investment for the well-being of the family.