Best Dehumidifier Buying Guide 2022
The quality of the air we breathe is very important to keep us healthy. That is why we must be concerned about keeping the environment we live in free of moisture and agents that increase the chances to get respiratory diseases. Poorly ventilated and humid spaces are the propitious for the reproduction of microorganisms that can damage our health such as mites, bacteria and fungi. The ideal is to look for the correct way to purify the air of the place, without the use of chemicals or other substances that aggravate the allergies.
When the humidity level of an enclosed space exceeds 60% it is important to buy a dehumidifier to adapt this space to the environment and fight against this type of imbalanced effects causes at our home.
What is an ambient dehumidifier?
This household appliance has a heat pump that reduce the humidity levels in a interior environment. It works providing cold in one place and when is necessary raise the temperature. Certainly, it’s an equipment we’ll need at home due to the multiple functions it fulfills. Besides, it’s very useful in spaces where infectious agents produced by humidity prevails, because it avoids condensation and eliminates stains on walls and small accumulations of mould.
Types of dehumidifiers
This equipment has is able to absorb the air through a fan, and then transform it through a cooling system that allows it to condense and precipitate into a filling tank. Then it’s processed again at the room temperature, preheated and expelled back into the room. These are the most advisable when the temperature and humidity are high.
This device work is determined by the use of desiccants such as silica gel. This is responsible of condense the moisture through a chemical reaction that happens in the filling tank. An additional flow of air transforms the desiccant material to use it later.
Comparison between refrigerant and dryer dehumidifiers
According to the opinions of some customers and the characteristics that define each model of dehumidifiers, we can compare and then decide which is the most appropriate for our home. Cooling equipment, unlike desiccants, has lower energy consumption. They are also cheaper and work perfectly in high temperatures and humidities. One of the main drawbacks they may have is that they are heavy and do not work very well at low temperatures.
In the case of dryers, one of their main pros is that they have a soft noise and are light, because they integrate fewer mechanical elements than refrigerating equipment. They are ideal for any type of cold environment. The handicaps of this appliance are that it consumes more energy and has a higher price.
Why should we buy a dehumidifier?
An equipment of this type is very important in our home, because it performs multiple functions and allows us to save considerable electricity. With this appliance we will not need to ventilate our home in cold periods and we will experience warmer environment. There is also less risk that the site's infrastructure will be affected by moisture problems, while at the same time taking care of our health.
- Eliminates water steam in poorly ventilated areas.
- Preserves moisture at appropriate levels.
- Raises the degrees of temperature when required at home.
- It remove bad smells.
- Decreases humidity by condensation.
- It purifies the house air, avoiding allergies and other respiratory diseases.
How to choose the best equipment
According to our needs, we will be able to choose between a portable dehumidifier or a fixed one. To determine the type of mechanism that suits us, we only need to measure the humidity of the place to choose between a refrigerant or dryer.Working capacity
- Dehumidifiers with an absorption capacity of 18 litres of water per day are designed to operate in 80 m³ environments. They normally operate without use a compressor or refrigerant, which makes it noiseless and lighter. It uses the dryer mechanism and operates perfectly at low temperatures.
- One of the best dehumidifiers with the highest demand are those that have the capacity to extract up to 20 liters of water per day and have a moisture measure to adjust it correctly in a comfortable way. This equipment has the capacity to operate in rooms up to 100 m³. It also has the advantage of being portable.
- We will also get in the market dehumidifiers that extract 10 liters of water a day and have a tank of 3 liters. This appliance has a maximum power of 200 watts and is very convenient to transport.
Where to buy dehumidifiers
Surely, the best dehumidifier will be easily obtained in online sales platforms such as Amazon, Ebay, John Lewis, Argos, Currys, as they are online stores that offer a diversity of models and brands such as Delonghi, Daitsu and Equation. On the internet we will get a team with all the features we need in our home. In addition we will be able to know in detail the pros and cons of each design and guide us with other buyers opinion.
Tips for buying a dehumidifier
Water absorption capacity
The capacity of these equipments is measured by the amount of water absorbed every 24 hours, only checking the tank we will know how much liquid the dehumidifier have consumed from the house cold air. It is important to know that the relative humidity in a home should not exceed 60%, this way we will know how to properly program our dehumidifier and not cause excessive dryness. It is also recommended that we use a hygrometer to calculate the exact humidity that is present in the place.
The minimum a dehumidifier tank must collect is two litres of water. However, there are equipments that have 4.5 liters capacity, which allows us to have more comfort when use it, because it does not require that we are constantly emptying the container.
Consumption saving and silent
The sound level of a household appliance of this type should be between 30 and 50 decibels, its sound is very similar to a fan, which will allow us to rest without interruption of sleep. As far as energy consumption is concerned, high-power dehumidifiers consume little electricity. In the same way, it will allow us to save on heating because its function of heating the air will make us feel less cold.
Definitive guide to buy
There are some important factors that will also help us when deciding to buy an air dehumidifier at an exceptional price and will allow us to select the perfect model for the requirements of our home.
- In case we do not have enough time to empty the water tank of the equipment, the best thing is to buy a dehumidifier that allows to evacuate the liquid through a hose that we will connect to a drain for greater comfort.
- A dehumidifier can consume between 180 and 400 watts, which represents an approximate cost between 34 and 65 euros per year, operating about 4 hours a day.
- It is a very intuitive and easy to use appliance.
- Also, an excellent option are the mini domestic dehumidifiers that serve to evacuate water in small spaces.
If we have already decided to buy our dehumidifier, the best thing will be to go to the online stores that show us offers and promotions frequently of the most economical equipment, and offer in detail the characteristics of each of the existing models in the market. Undoubtedly, this equipment is an excellent purchase if we want to have our environment purified and free of pollutants.