The best bread makers for 2020. Purchase guide
If you enjoy finding new culinary experiences, and most of all experimenting in your kitchen with tastes, ingredients, techniques and preparation perhaps you should try preparing a delicious bread in your own household. Our everyday bread does not have to be simple and boring. It can be prepared in a grand variety, be it salty, sweet, white or integral, including ingredients of different types such as marmalade, spices or seeds. All we need is our imagination and a device, which makes this much easier: a bread maker!
Hometronix Fast Bake Digital Bread Maker Dough Making Machine With 12 Programmes
Panasonic Automatic Bread Maker Sd-2501
37.00£ 7 bids | 01d
Panasonic Bread Maker Sd-zb2512 - Used
26.70£ 1 bids | 05d
Why buy a bread maker?
A bread maker is an electric device that allows us to make bread in an easy, economical and convenient way. We can make bread of all sorts, like for example white bread, integral bread, French bread, sweet bread and baguette. All we need to do is add the ingredients according to a recipe, program the machine and it will mix/add and bake the ingredients for us until we have our much appreciated loaf of bread.
Additionally, having a bread maker in our kitchens can have its advantages:
- Always having fresh bread thanks to the possibility of programming the bread maker.
- Adjust the type of bread we consume every day.
- Saving money, if the household consumes much bread, adding your own ingredients is much more economic for the family budget.
- Preparing special types of bread in case of allergies, such as gluten or celiac diseases.
Which is the ideal bread maker?
To answer this question, the short answer is: the one that best fits into our lifestyle. For a more detailed response we need to look at the characteristics in the foreground of this device and revise these carefully in order to decide which one covers our needs with its functions.
There are many brands. Moulinex, Unold, Panasonic, Imetec, Ufesa, Taurus and Princess just to name a few, which we can find in commercial centers, in stores that sell electric devices, or in online platforms such as eBay and Amazon. Every brand offers a variety of models with different functions. Therefore, in order to find out which bread maker suits us best, we should read suggestions, opinions and technical information regarding the models that interest us in order to compare their characteristics:
- Capacity: this refers to the amount of bread that can be baked in each session. The amount and weight of the dough can differ from model to model, ranging from the normal capacity of a one kilo loaf, however there are also bread makers with two or more baking pans in order to produce several loafs of smaller weight or different forms.
- Volume: the size of our electric device should also be kept in mind, regardless of the fact that it is not very big, it takes away available space in a cupboard, on the countertop or on the kitchen table.
- Programming: the different brands offer a large variety of options regarding the timer for the preparation of our bread, different baking modes, consistency of the mass, sweetness or saltiness. Also, options for different types of bread are offered, such as integral bread, baguette, brioche. Furthermore, there are models that work like a hot-air oven in order to allow to us to produce different textures of bread. Each characteristic has a separate button on the control panel of the bread maker.
- Speed: Not everybody has the patience to prepare and wait for homemade bread. Thus, another function that must be kept in mind is the speed that the bread maker needs. A normal time that our bread maker needs is between three and four hours for all the steps of mixing, resting and baking.
- Timer: if you enjoy waking up to the smell of fresh bread in the morning, or want your bread to be finished for dinner when you come home from work, a bread maker with timer function is a must have. All you need to do is add all the ingredients and program the timer as to when the bread maker shall start working so that it is finished when we need the bread.
- Versatility: although we have been discussing the process of baking bread and the different characteristics of bread makers, there are brands that like to add other functions such as mixing ingredients for pizza dough, homemade pasta, cookies or mixing flours for example in order to have doughs that are gluten free or even making stewed fruits or marmalades.
- Design: the finding of a bread maker with basic functions or including all extra functions and the most recent possibilities does not indicate a rare or complicated bread maker. In this market we can find real art pieces relating to design or available colors. This allows us to find a bread maker that matches the decoration in our kitchen and that fits to the other electric devices.
- Manufacturing: regardless of the daily work the bread makes does for us, we need to keep in mind the materials the bread maker may include, such as plastics, stainless steel, analog or digital controls, which affects the lifetime and handling of the device.
- Accessories: there is a large variety of extras relating to the bread maker such as recipe books, baking pans, dough hooks, measuring devices and bowls in order for us to have the possibility of having all accessories necessary for all functions of the chosen model.
- Performance: a bread maker has two main functions, mixing the ingredients and baking the dough. We recommend choosing a model with high performance (watt) which allows optimal performing.
- Price: having read and thought about all these characteristics and functions, we must decide what amount we are willing to pay for the purchase. Prices vary from 50 euros, for a basic and cheap model, to 200 euros for the most advanced ones, this all depends on what we want and expect from our bread maker..
Every day new models come out and appear in our market. Every brand faces competition in order to stay in this market, which is why every day there appear to be new functions, performances and characteristics. With this manual and the available information it is easier to choose between the different models at our scope and compare their advantages and characteristics to find out which suits our lifestyle best. The one that does all we need is definitely the best bread maker for us.